Help! I’ve Been Injured on the Job

It started like any normal workday. You reported on time for your job, but by the end of the shift you were in the Emergency Room after being injured on the job. Your first concern will be getting the right medical treatment, but what comes next?

1.      Notify your employer orally or in writing.

Tell your employer about your injuries as soon as possible. According to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission’s Handbook on Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases, employees should report injuries to their employees as follows:

  • If injured in a work-related accident: notify within 45 days of the date of the accident.
  • If exposed to high amounts of radiation: notify within 90 days after you think you were exposed.
  • Job-related illness: notify as soon as possible after you learn about the illness.

Make sure you report the approximate date and place of the accident.

2.      Cooperate with medical providers and insurance companies.

Failure to comply with reasonable requests from your medical providers and insurance companies can result in denial of benefits or lower payments. If you are concerned about the information you are being asked to provide, contact an attorney with experience handling workers’ compensation cases.

3.      Document your injuries (including witness statements)

Write a short, factual statement about how your injury occurred. If there were witnesses to your accident, you may want to get short statements from them also. Recording this information shortly after your accident may prevent you from forgetting important details that may be needed later.

4.      Make sure your paperwork is in on time and is correct.

If you experienced an injury or illness related to your job, you will have to complete paperwork and fill out forms. Making errors on the forms or missing deadlines will cause a delay or denial of your benefits. For help with the workers’ compensation process, contact an attorney who has assisted workers with claims and knows the system.

5.      Take immediate action if your claim is denied.

In the event you receive a denial letter from your employer, don’t wait to respond. Call your employer for an explanation. You may need to hire an attorney.

6.      Speak with an attorney who knows workers’ compensation law.

The best way to make sure your case proceeds as smoothly as possible is to enlist the aid of a lawyer with deep knowledge of the worker’s compensation system.

At Osvaldo Rodriguez, PC, we have over 20 years’ experience helping injured workers. Schedule a free initial consultation with Osvaldo Rodriguez, a lawyer who has dedicated his career to assisting people like you. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact form on our website. We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonEmployer Disputes & Worker's Comp: What You Need to Know