One day, Louis received a call from the hospital because his mother was in the emergency room. He was surprised. His mom was a nursing home resident, but the nursing home had not called him. As he spoke with the doctors about his mom, he wondered if nursing home neglect or abuse caused his mother’s injuries. If one of your family members lives in a nursing home, you can watch for signs of neglect. Also, you may be able to get compensation for any injuries or illnesses that result from a lack of proper care.
Watch for These Signs of Nursing Home Neglect
When you move a loved one into a nursing home, you expect them to be treated well. After all, the staff should be trained and knowledgeable about the needs of their patients. Unfortunately, abuse and neglect may happen. It pays to keep an eye on your loved one, watching for signs of nursing home neglect or abuse.
Some of the most common injuries caused by nursing home neglect include:
- Pressure ulcers or bed sores which are caused because nursing home staff have let the patient lie or sit in one position for too long.
- Falls, head injuries, and broken bones caused by lack of supervision and assistance.
- Malnutrition and dehydration due to the staff’s failure to provide food and liquids.
- Bruises, cuts, sprains, and dislocations that the nursing staff cannot explain.
- Poor hygiene when residents do not receive assistance with bathing, dressing, cleaning clothes, and brushing hair.
- Fearful behavior by the resident, especially when nursing home personnel are nearby.
- Excessive drowsiness or confusion caused by the inappropriate use of sedatives.
- Infections that turn into sepsis due to a lack of proper medical care.
If you know a nursing home resident who has shown any of these signs of neglect, get help immediately.
Illinois Law and Nursing Home Neglect
The Nursing Home Care Act (the “Act”) addresses issues of nursing home neglect and abuse. Violations of this act may occur when a nursing facility meets the Act’s definition of abuse or neglect. A nursing home resident whose claim succeeds in court may receive damages including medical expenses, pain and suffering, and attorneys’ fees. However, there are restrictions on who can make a claim and the lawsuit may be settled through arbitration instead of trial.
Learn more about how to get the compensation you deserve.
If you suspect nursing home neglect, get help immediately. Reporting the injury immediately may prevent additional injuries and preserve your loved one’s rights.
At Osvaldo Rodriguez, PC, we have over 20 years’ experience helping clients with nursing home injuries and neglect. Schedule a free initial consultation with Osvaldo Rodriguez, a lawyer who has dedicated his career to assisting people like you. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact form on our website. We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.
Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.