Illinois has one of the highest number of nursing home neglect cases in the country. Many neglect cases turn into injuries or worse. But just because nursing home injuries are common does not mean we have to sit by and let them happen. Even worse, some people just ignore the problem and hope it goes away. However, you can do something about nursing home injuries and neglect.
How to Choose a Nursing Home
Moving a loved one to a long-term care facility is not fun. However, it is important and we need to give the task as much time as possible. Choosing the right nursing facility could make a huge difference in your loved one’s life.
The Illinois Department of Public Health gives the following tips:
- Determine what kind of care is actually needed.
- Develop a care plan.
Once you have a care plan, match your loved one’s needs with a local facility. Then:
- Call and visit homes that might be a good fit.
- Check the facility’s licenses and certificates.
- Review their most recent state inspection report and fire safety inspection report.
- Pay attention when touring the home – are there any hazards? Have accident prevention steps been taken? Is the home clean? Do the residents seem well-cared-for?
You may be able to avoid nursing home injuries and neglect with careful research and planning.
Nursing Home Injuries to Watch for
Once you have moved mom or dad into the home, visit as often as possible. Quietly observe the following:
- Signs of neglect, like poor hygiene, bed sores, infections, malnutrition, and dehydration.
- Signs of abuse, such as bruises, broken bones, head injuries, and fear of nursing home personnel.
If you feel your loved one is being mistreated or neglected, don’t hesitate to act.
What to Do
Act immediately to make sure your loved one is safe. Then, report abuse or neglect to the Illinois Department of Public Health: Nursing Homes in Illinois. The hotline number is 1-800-252-4343.
Document everything – the injuries or neglect and your response. This may serve as evidence if you and your loved one is entitled to financial compensation.
Talk to an Illinois Attorney Who Understands Nursing Home Injuries
At Osvaldo Rodriguez, PC, we have over 20 years’ experience helping clients with nursing home injuries and neglect. Schedule a free initial consultation with Osvaldo Rodriguez, a lawyer who has dedicated his career to assisting people like you. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact form on our website. We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.
Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.