Who Should I Call After a Car Accident?

In the immediate aftermath of a car accident, you may be too stunned to think about what to do. One early response may be to call for help. But who should you call after a car accident, especially a serious accident with injuries?


Your first call may be 9-1-1. The police don’t come out to every car accident, but it’s still a good idea. If they do arrive, they can assist with traffic problems and prepare a police report. Insurance companies often want to see an official report of the accident.

If there are any injuries, the 9-1-1 operator may send at least one ambulance your way. Also, fire trucks may be sent to your location to handle any hazardous situations, like gas spills.

Family Members

Even if your car can be driven after the accident, you may want to call family members or friends. They may be able to give you a ride home or even just a comforting hug. If your car will be towed away, you may also need help removing your personal items from the car.

In the event you have been injured, a friend or family member could follow you to the hospital. When injuries prevent you from calling, emergency personnel may try to contact family members for you.

Your Insurance Company

As soon as possible after a car accident, contact your insurance company. In fact, your insurer may have rules that state a deadline for reporting accidents. Missing that deadline could spell trouble for your insurance claim.

A Lawyer with Car Accident Experience

Finally, call an attorney to discuss your options. You may need help dealing with insurance companies or even filing a lawsuit. It is important to view the facts of the case and the law before making any assumptions about blame after a car accident.

With over 20 years’ experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury and workers’ compensation matters, Osvaldo Rodriguez has the skills to handle your case from start to finish. To schedule your free initial consultation, or just ask a question, call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the form on the Contact page.

Osvaldo Rodriguez speaks Spanish and English. We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake and all of Cook County, Lake County, Kane County, Dupage County and Will County.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonI’ve Been on Workers’ Comp. How Can I Return to WorkWhat You Need to Know About Slip and Fall Cases