Where, When, and How to Report an Illinois Traffic Accident

After a car accident, you’ll have many things to do. Your car or other property may be damaged. You or your passengers may be recovering from injuries ranging. During all this activity, there’s one more thing you need to do: file an accident report. To do so, you need to know where, when, and how to report an Illinois traffic accident.

The Law

Illinois law requires that drivers involved in a traffic accident must file a report if the accident caused:

  • A death,
  • Bodily injury,
  • More than $1,500 property damage when all drivers are insured,
  • Up to $500 if any of the drivers involved fail to have insurance.

There are several places you can report your car crash.

Where to Report an Illinois Traffic Accident

For most accidents, you can file your report with the Illinois State Police, the local police, or the local sheriff’s office. There are some exceptions:

Report accidents that occurred on an Illinois Toll Way to the ISP District 15.

Accidents that happen on a Cook County highway should be reported to a patrol trooper.

Drivers involved in car accidents can also file a report at ISP District Chicago, 9511 West Harrison Street, Des Plaines, IL 60016.

When to Report an Illinois Traffic Accident

According to Illinois law, drivers should report accidents as soon as possible, but definitely within 10 days of the accident

Some police departments take desk reports any time on  Saturdays and Sundays, and between the hours of 10 am to 2 pm and 7 pm to 3 am on Monday through Friday.

How to Report an Illinois Traffic Accident

Gather as much information about the other drivers as possible, including drivers license number, auto registration, and proof of insurance.

Upon arriving at the police station, call (847) 294-4400 to let the police know your location and that you need to file a desk report.

Failing to Report Your Accident Leads to Consequences

Know your rights. Know what Illinois law says about auto accidents. Talk to Osvaldo Rodriguez, an attorney dedicated to protecting you and obtaining the best financial recovery possible. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact Us form on our website.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake, and all of Cook County, Lake County, Kane County, Dupage County, and Will County.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonHow Long Can I Get Workers’ Compensation Benefits4 Reasons to File a Nursing Home Lawsuit