Car insurance, home owner’s insurance, workers’ compensation insurance – there’s a good chance you have had at least one kind of insurance at some point in your life. If you have ever had to file an insurance claim, you may have spoken with an insurance adjuster. However, it’s very important to remember that the adjuster is not your friend. He or she represents the insurance company, not you. So, it is also important to know what you should and should not say to insurance company adjusters. Communications with an insurance company can make a big difference in whether you are compensated for your claim or not.
Here’s how you might handle communications with an insurance company adjuster:
If you do receive a call from an insurance company:
- Be honest.
- Answer requests for information. Just don’t volunteer more than you need to.
- Refer them to your attorney.
Remember, the insurance adjuster represents the insurance company, not you.
There are things you should not say when talking to an insurance company adjuster:
During a call or interview with an insurance adjuster, consider the following tips:
- Don’t speculate or guess what happened. If you don’t know, say you don’t know.
- Don’t accept blame. It can be difficult to determine who was at fault.
- Don’t give a written statement.
- Don’t argue with the adjuster. If you don’t agree with the adjuster’s report, have an attorney review it.
- Don’t accept a settlement offer. The insurance adjuster is not your friend and is not looking out for your best interests. Your attorney does that.
One of the Most Important Things to Say to an Insurance Adjuster . . .
Talk to my attorney! Once you have hired an experienced lawyer, he or she can handle your case and that usually includes talking to the insurance adjusters.
With over 20 years’ experience, Osvaldo Rodriguez has the skills to handle your case from start to finish. To schedule your free initial consultation, or just ask a question, call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the form on the Contact Us page.
At Osvaldo Rodriguez, P.C., we represent clients throughout the state of Illinois. This includes Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake and Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.
Se Habla Espanol.