Tractor-Trailer Accidents: Who Can You Sue?

We often see tractor-trailer accidents in the news. Damages and injuries can be severe due in part to the size of the truck. You may see the aftermath of a semi-truck accident and wonder who will pay for all the damage. It may be possible to get compensation after an accident. However, you need to know who you can sue.

Common Causes of Tractor-Trailer Accidents

Some people may say “accidents happen” to excuse damage that was not caused deliberately. However, when it comes to vehicle collisions, it may be easy to pinpoint the reason an accident happened. For example, tractor-trailer accidents often occur for the following reasons:

  • Inattentive, distracted, or reckless driving;
  • An improperly balanced or secured load;
  • Overloading;
  • Mechanical failures, including tire blowouts and brake trouble; or
  • Driver impairment from exhaustion or drug use.

When you are injured, it’s natural to want compensation for your pain, suffering, and so on. But who should be sued after tractor-trailer accidents?

Holding Someone Responsible

It can be difficult to decide who to sue after a semi-truck accident. Generally, the facts surrounding the accident make a big difference.

For example, a truck driver may be:

  • Self-employed and operating his own vehicle,
  • Operating his vehicle for someone else, or
  • Driving a company-owned truck.

When deciding who to sue, consider the following:

  • The owner of the truck may be sued after an accident, especially if their business practices contributed to the incident.
  • If the accident occurred because of driver error, the truck driver might also be sued.
  • When the truck is loaded, the owner of the cargo may be held responsible.
  • If mechanical failure caused or contributed to the accident, you might sue anyone who performed maintenance, manufactured a part that failed or the truck itself, or installed a part incorrectly.

Tractor-Trailer Accidents May Lead to Lawsuits

If you or someone you know has been injured in a semi-truck accident, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You can discuss who to sue so you can receive compensation for your losses.

Osvaldo Rodriguez has more than 20 years’ experience helping people like you. Schedule a free initial consultation or ask a question by calling us at 708-716-3441 or by completing the Contact form on our website.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake, and all of Cook County, Lake County, Kane County, Dupage County and Will County.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonBicycle Accidents Do Bike Lanes Protect RidersWorkers’ Compensation for Firefighters