Steps You Should Take After a Semi-Truck Crash

Tractor-trailer accidents can be devastating. A semi-truck crash often causes life-threatening injuries to drivers and passengers involved in the collision. As with any accident, it’s important to take certain steps afterward to protect your rights.

Be Safe

Immediately after the collision, make sure you and anyone in your car are safe. Call for medical assistance if anyone is injured. It’s helpful to have the police come out also and prepare a report. If for some reason the police do not come to your scene, make sure you report the accident to the Illinois Department of Public Safety if:

  • The accident caused bodily injury or death; or
  • Property damage exceeds $1,500 when all drivers are insured or $500 if any driver is not insured.

Gather Information

At the scene, try to get information about the semi-truck driver and the truck. If you can get information about the driver’s employer, that would be helpful. Drivers who are owner-operators should have their own insurance.

Although you will be upset about the accident, try to pay attention to anything the driver says or does. He or she may admit to something that will work in your favor. For example, the driver might mention working more hours than the law allows.

It’s also a good idea to keep copies of medical records, property damage estimates, and correspondence from insurance companies.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Illinois law requires drivers to have automobile insurance. It’s important to call your insurance company as soon as you can. Waiting too late to call may jeopardize your coverage.

Consult with an Illinois Personal Injury Lawyer about Your Semi-Truck Crash

Find an attorney with personal injury and semi-truck crash experience.

If you or someone you know has been injured in a semi-truck accident, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You may have only two years to file a personal injury lawsuit under Illinois law. However, your personal injury attorney may be able to work with the insurance company to get the compensation you deserve or file a lawsuit if necessary.

Osvaldo Rodriguez has more than 20 years’ experience helping people like you. Schedule a free initial consultation or ask a question by calling us at 708-716-3441 or by completing the Contact form on our website.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake, and all of Cook County, Lake County, Kane County, Dupage County and Will County.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonUnderstanding Illinois Personal Injury LawDoes Workers’ Comp Cover Temporary Workers