Reporting an Illinois Traffic Accident

The aftermath of a motor vehicle accident can be almost as stressful as the accident itself. A car may have to be repaired or replaced. An injured person may have to figure out how to replace wages lost while they heal from their injuries. People may have to seek medical treatment from first aid at the scene to surgery and lengthy recovery times. In the midst of calling insurers, medical providers, and employers, remember to tackle one more task: reporting your Illinois traffic accident.

What does Illinois law say about reporting a traffic accident?

Some, but not all, motor vehicle crashes that occur on Illinois roadways need to be reported to the state or local authorities. Illinois Statute Section 11-406 states:

“(a) the driver of a vehicle that is in any manner involved in an accident within this State, resulting in injury to or death of any person, or in which damage to the property of any one person, including himself, in excess of $1,500 (or $500 if any of the vehicles in the accident is subject to Section 7-601 but is not covered by a liability insurance policy in accordance with Section 7-601) shall, as soon as possible but not later than 10 days after the accident, forward a written report of the accident to the Administrator.”

In general, then the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident must report the accident if someone is killed or injured. If no one is killed or injured, but property damage is more than $1500, the driver must report the accident. If one of the vehicles involved is uninsured, then the dollar amount drops to $500.

We now know that drivers have to report the accident under certain conditions. But how do they report it?

How can I report my traffic accident?

It may depend on where the accident happened and whether a police officer arrived at the scene.

  • When a police officer does not appear, the driver should report the accident to the local police department, sheriff’s office or Illinois State Police.
  • If the accident occurred on the Illinois Toll Way, report it to the ISP District 15.
  • Accidents that happened in Cook County, can be filed in person.
  • Motorists may also provide a paper copy of their report to a police office at the scene. Reports can also be mailed or hand delivered to the Illinois Department of Transportation.

Failing to Report Your Accident Leads to Consequences

Know your rights. Know what Illinois law says about auto accidents. Talk to Osvaldo Rodriguez, an attorney dedicated to protecting you and obtaining the best financial recovery possible. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact Us form on our website.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonHow to Apply for Workers' Compensation BenefitsDoes Workers' Comp Pay for Rehab