Motorcycle Accidents: Serious Injuries on Two Wheels

In a side-by-side comparison, it’s obvious that motorcycles are very different than automobiles. What may not be as obvious is that people involved in motorcycle accidents are more likely to be seriously injured or killed than people involved in car crashes. According to one study, someone on a motorcycle is about 28 times more likely to die in a crash than someone in a car. In this blog, we will look at what kind of compensation is available to someone who has been hurt in a motorcycle accident.

One Choice After a Motorcycle Accident

People involved in any kind of accident may call insurance companies for relief. Sometimes that doesn’t work, though. An insurance company might disagree about how bad the injuries are or about the cause of the accident.

An injured person and their attorney may have to file a personal injury lawsuit. The surviving loved ones of people who die in motorcycle accidents may bring a wrongful death lawsuit.

Damages Available in a Personal Injury Lawsuit

A number of different factors will determine how much compensation someone receives after a motorcycle accident. Typically, though, the person bringing the personal injury lawsuit (the “plaintiff”) may be able to claim the following types of damages:

  • Payment for the decedent’s medical treatment for injuries caused by the accident;
  • Loss of income;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Loss of inheritance;
  • Family’s loss of love and companionship,
  • Surviving family’s loss of support the deceased person might have provided; and
  • Funeral costs.

Some claims, like loss of income, can be measured in dollars and cents. Other claims, like loss of consortium, are non-economic damages for which any compensation can only be an estimate.

Motorcycle Accidents Can Cause Serious Injury or Death

Maybe you or someone you know has been involved in a motorcycle accident. You may be eligible for compensation, no matter how mild the injuries are.

With over 20 years’ experience, Osvaldo Rodriguez has the skills to handle your case from start to finish. To schedule your free initial consultation, or just ask a question, call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the form on the Contact Us page.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonHow to Appeal a Workers’ Comp DenialCan Your Office Make You Sick Common On-the-Job Hazards