Dealing with Uninsured Motorists

You hoped it would never happen, but it did: you have just been involved in an automobile accident. The other driver seems to be at fault. However, your car is in very bad shape, people were injured in the crash, and you need insurance help now. Unfortunately, the other driver does not have any car insurance. Dealing with uninsured motorists is hard, especially when you are already dealing with injuries and a damaged car.

Aren’t all drivers supposed to have automobile insurance?

Yes, it’s the law. However, almost 14% of Illinois drivers have not bought any car insurance.

What can be done if dealing with uninsured motorists?

If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, there are things you can do:

  • First, call the police. Having a police report could help your claims. Also, the uninsured driver probably will receive at least a citation for not having insurance.
  • File a report with the Illinois Department of Transportation Accident Report office.
  • Notify your insurance company. Make sure they know that the other driver, the one who was at fault, does not have any automobile insurance.
  • If your insurance includes uninsured motorist coverage, file an uninsured motorist claim. Your insurance company may try to get some money back from the uninsured driver.
  • If all else fails, you may have to sue the uninsured motorist. Talk to an attorney first, though.

Penalties for Uninsured Motorists

A driver who does not buy auto insurance may face the following penalties:

Suspension of license and/or vehicle registration, if the uninsured motorist is at fault. The Secretary of State’s office may suspend the uninsured motorist’s license if he or she is unable to pay a civil judgment against them.

Fines and penalties. For example, an uninsured motorist’s first and second offenses may lead to a $501-$1000 fine each time. Any offences after that may result in a $1,000 fine.

You need an attorney with personal injury experience. We can help.

The attorneys at Osvaldo Rodriguez, P.C., are here to help you through the aftermath of your auto accident. Schedule a free initial consultation with Osvaldo Rodriguez, a lawyer with over 20 years’ experience representing people like you. Just call us at 708-716-3441 or fill out the Contact form on our website.

Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.

We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Cook, DuPage, Will, and Kane Counties.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonCan Horseplay Derail Your Workers’ Comp Claim?Workers’ Comp Eligibility: Is Failing to Use Safety Gear a Deal Breaker?