It may seem like you read about them or see them on the news every week. Truck crashes are often newsworthy in addition to being fairly common. In some cases, learning the causes of tractor trailer accidents may help people understand how to recover from them.
Things that Cause or Contribute to Tractor Trailer Accidents
Some of the most common causes of accidents for big rigs are the same as for automobiles. For example, drivers may be:
- Inattentive or distracted,
- Driving too fast for conditions,
- Following too closely behind another vehicle,
- Acting in an illegal manner, or
- Just a poor driver overall.
However, tractor trailer accidents may involve some special circumstances. A truck driver may:
- Brake too fast, causing the truck to jackknife or roll over;
- Drive while impaired or after driving too many hours;
- Experience mechanical failures, brake problems, or tire blowouts;
- Make a wide turn that confuses nearby cars;
- Hit a vehicle in the truck’s blind spot;
- Drive too fast to avoid hitting another vehicle because trucks take a long time to stop;
- Carry too much weight or have an unstable load.
Trucks generally are much larger and heavier than cars. When trucks and cars collide, serious injuries and fatalities are common.
A Few Important Facts
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, semi-trucks were involved in 11,301 accidents in 2016. Tractor trailer accidents where people died increased over 30 percent from the previous year. In addition, a large number of people suffered serious injuries in collisions involving at least one tractor-trailer.
No Matter the Cause, Tractor Trailer Accidents Can Lead to Serious Injuries
If you or someone you know has been injured in a semi-truck accident, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You may have only two years to file a personal injury lawsuit under Illinois law. However, your personal injury attorney may be able to work with the insurance company to get the compensation you deserve or file a lawsuit if necessary.
Osvaldo Rodriguez has more than 20 years’ experience helping people like you. Schedule a free initial consultation or ask a question by calling us at 708-716-3441 or by completing the Contact form on our website.
Mr. Rodriguez is fluent in both Spanish and English.
We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, and Northlake.