Can I Claim Lost Income After a Car Accident?

After his car accident, Zach was unable to return to his job for several months. He met with his personal injury lawyer to work on his claim against the other driver. Zach felt his medical bills should definitely be covered, but he then asked his attorney, “Can I claim lost income?” To understand the answer, it’s important to understand how car accident claims work.

Illinois Is a No-Fault State

You might assume that one driver will be held responsible for the damage caused by the accident. However, Illinois uses a modified comparative liability system to determine compensation after a car accident. In other words, the blame for the accident may be split between all the drivers involved in the collision. Compensation for damages typically is split between the drivers based on the percentage of liability.

In Zach’s case, he was t-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light. It’s unlikely that Zach will be assigned any percentage of blame for the accident. Still, only an experienced attorney can analyze his accident to see how much his case might be worth.

Victims of Car Crashes Have Several Options

When making a claim for damages after a car accident, you might ask for some or all of the following:

  • Medical treatment, including future medical care;
  • Expenses, like housecleaning and lawn work, that occurred because the injured person was unable to do the work themselves;
  • Property damage, to the car and its contents;
  • Pain and suffering; and
  • Lost wages and loss of future wages.

Loss of income is a common claim in automobile accident cases. However, every case is different.

The Answer to “Can I Claim Lost Income?” Is Complicated

Whether you can claim lost income depends on several factors. To learn how to get the compensation you deserve, discuss the facts of your case with an attorney.

For assistance, talk with Osvaldo Rodriguez, an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer, for an honest assessment of your case. Schedule a free consultation by calling us today at 708-716-3441 or by completing the form on our Contact Us page.

At Osvaldo Rodriguez, P.C., we represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, including Chicago, Addison, Bellwood, Bensenville, Berwyn, Chicago, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Northlake, and all of Cook County, Lake County, Kane County, Dupage County and Will County.

Se Habla Espanol.

Related Posts
Call Now ButtonAre Truck Drivers Allowed to Use Cell Phones While DrivingAre Dehydration and Malnutrition Signs of Nursing Home Neglect